VPIphotonics Design Suite Version 9.8 provides access to four professional application-specific simulation tools with common usability, design process and data analysis capabilities:
- VPIcomponentMaker Photonic Circuits
- VPIcomponentMaker Fiber Optics
- VPItransmissionMaker Optical Systems
Significant enhancements of the user interface and tools operation help to streamline design and analysis processes. New and improved simulation capabilities ensure continuous support of research and product development for new technologies, components and systems. Addressed applications range from integrated photonics and optoelectronics, fiber-based lasers and amplifiers, to low-cost high-speed direct detection and high-capacity flexible digital coherent systems.
New capabilities provided with Version 9.8
- New data-sheet model for directly modulated lasers driven by multilevel data signals as used in PAM applications. Enhanced MLSE module to support multilevel signals as used in PAM applications.
- New functionality for synchronizing received and reference sequences for DSP and performance estimation. New mode for DSP operation supporting processing of successive signal blocks by adaptive equalizers (such as CPR, TDE-MIMO).
- Enhanced multimode fiber module to support coupling between different mode groups. New analysis tool for linear frequency-dependent transmission properties of multimode components and links
- Enhanced doped multimode fiber solver to support cross-sections spectra of various 2-levels rare-earth dopant ions, besides Erbium ions. New analysis tool for multimode optical amplifiers to characterize gain, noise figures, mode-resolved signal and noise powers, OSNRs and BERs.
- New bidirectional electro-optic amplitude and phase modulator allowing to control the electro absorption and refraction effects in waveguides (for traveling-wave modulators or lengthy Mach-Zehnder interferometers).
- Enhanced modeling of curved waveguides with arbitrary shapes accounting for bend-induced dependencies of effective index and attenuation. New library of waveguides with frequently used curvature shapes.
- New MxN Arrayed Waveguide Grating model employing the scattering matrix approach based on datasheet or measured data without the need to provide design- specific information such as waveguide dimensions and materials.
- New simulation mode allowing to set up automated runs combining one-dimensional parameter optimization (find min, max, target) within multilevel parameter sweeps.
- Sophisticated vector graphics editor for icons of custom-created modules supporting various graphical primitives, and import from library of templates and other existing resources.
- New automated deployment, configuration and management of extendable Python environment including libraries to run macros, simulation scripts and for cosimulation.
- Support of GPU-assisted simulations utilizing graphic cards by NVIDIA with Pascal architecture running CUDA library v8.0 (such as Tesla P100), beside older architectures.
VPIphotonics Design Suite Version 9.8 comes with more than 850 ready-to-run demonstrations illustrating functionality and application range. New demos address applications such as coded modulation, Stokes vector modulation, PAM, PON transceiver characterization, 5G wireless backhaul over fiber, DBR fiber lasers, electro-optic components and others.
VPIphotonics Design Suite Version 9.8 is on show at OFC 2017, booth 2213.