Velodyne Lidar, Inc. introduced Velabit, Velodyne’s smallest sensor, which brings new levels of versatility and affordability to 3D lidar perception, at CES 2020. The Velabit leverages Velodyne’s innovative lidar technology and manufacturing partnerships for cost optimization and high-volume production. The sensor advances Velodyne’s mission to make high-quality 3D lidar sensors readily accessible to everyone.
The Velabit perfectly complements Velodyne’s sensor portfolio. The sensor delivers the same technology and performance found on Velodyne’s full suite of state-of-the-art sensors and will be the catalyst for creating endless possibilities for new applications in a variety of industries. The compact Velabit can be embedded almost anywhere within vehicles, robots, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), infrastructure and more. It is designed to be easy to manufacture at mass production levels.
The Velabit is engineered to be an optimal automotive grade lidar solution for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and autonomous vehicles. It enables robust perception coverage for Blind-Spot Monitoring, Cross Traffic Detection, Automatic Emergency Braking, and Pedestrian and Bicyclist Safety. Highly configurable for customer application, this mid-range sensor can be combined with other Velodyne lidar sensors, such as the Velarray™, for high-speed operation or function as a standalone lidar solution in low-speed applications.
The Velabit addresses the cost, safety and design challenges of autonomous solutions while delivering strong sensor performance. Here are the Velabit’s leading features:
- Integrated processing in a compact size of 2.4” x 2.4” x 1.38” – smaller than a deck of playing cards – to be easily embedded in a wide range of solutions.
- Range up to 100 meters.
- Outstanding field of view (FoV): 60-degree horizontal FoV x 10-degree vertical FoV.
- Highly configurable to support a range of applications.
- Proven, Class 1 eye-safe 903 nanometer technology.
- Bottom connector with cable length options.
- Multiple manufacturing sources scheduled to be available for qualified production projects.
The Velabit will be available to customers mid-2020. Velodyne provides world-class technical support for the sensor across North America, Europe and Asia. It is now on display at Velodyne Lidar’s CES 2020 booth located at the Las Vegas Convention Center North Hall – booth #7520.